I’ve got 2 nice new eSata Verbatim 2TB RAID external hard drives (which I’ll set to RAID1 mirroring) for lots of game archive data, preservation stuff and website archives.
However, for some bizarre reason after messing around between eSata settings my FireWire ports have entirely stopped working. I want to use eSata since, when it was actually working (with my FireWire and USB drives), eSata was around 200MB/s read times, while USB was about 38MB/s read times. FireWire is a few megs better (although a different, and single drive) at 41MB/s, although now none of the FireWire things I plugin work. I gave up last night, sigh, technology!
Also, oddly, eSata now reports the drive as internal (I can’t make it disconnect by “Safely remove hardware”) despite it starting out as removable. I’m very confused, my motherboard does have a really dodgy implmentation of this though (JMicron controller, which can do simple RAID though eSata, which is probably part of the issue – it’s not “just” a hotswappable eSata port!).
Here’s to hoping that System Restore can set it right, something that I’m glad I’ve actually enabled just for this kind of situation. The BIOS settings are now back to what they should be, so I’m now going back in time to June 30th, 2009…wish me luck 😉 If it’s not this, I’ll double check my BIOS, which hasn’t got a lot of custom settings, and should, I hope, be possible to resolve.
~~~~wavey lines~~~~ wooooooo!