Some random thoughts on the 3DS I caught on Saturday;
- The 3d is okay; but it varies a lot game to game. You have to keep still using it so obviously you would turn it off if you use the gyroscope inside (as with Monkey Ball – a real shame). Some games barely use it noticeably – a 3D in-a-sub-at-a-periscope-firing-torpedoes game was just so…flat!
- My eyes “work with it” but it takes a fair few seconds to adjust then having to keep them steady, else you get just a holographic “double image at once” going on of course.
- There are no games I immediately want to play on it having tried almost all of the demos available; fighting, sports, racing and remakes/re-releases. I guess Kid Icarus is new? Monkey Ball also was passable.
- The augmented reality stuff is fiddly but pretty silly fun. Would be happier if it wasn’t so gimmicky (there was only one bit available to try).
- Generally much better button placement (power, volume, d-pad, abxy buttons etc., although start/select are a bit out of the way) and the addition of the analogue stick is good. From the fighter players I’ve talked to they’d prefer two of them (even just realistically to support left handed players!)
- Why is the bottom screen smaller then the top one? Looks goofy 🙁
When I might buy a 3DS:
- Better battery life/extra battery packs. It’s pretty rubbish at the moment (2-4 hours, ouch)
- The Professor Layton/Phoenix Write crossover game is out, or perhaps Mario Kart
- If I really find a reason to constantly use wifi in a game; so can use WPA2 at home
Not going to happen for a while then, oh well!